The mission of the GWTA is “to promote and develop the growth of tennis within the Greater Wilmington Area”. The fulfillment of this mission is dependent on our wonderful volunteers who make great strides growing the game of tennis at the grass roots level!
- Promoting of tennis as a means of healthful recreation and physical fitness.
- Developing tennis programs for all levels of adult players from all types of backgrounds in the public facilities, schools, and private facilities.
- Developing tennis programs for all levels of junior players from all types of backgrounds in public facilities, schools and private facilities.
- Coordinating and growing partnerships with all other area tennis organizations and Park and Recreation/Garden Departments to accomplish our stated mission.
- Serve as a resource organization for area tennis organizations and area parks & recreation departments for tennis related activities.
How can you help? Everyone has different abilities and resources that they can use to help increase participation in tennis, bring tournaments and financial benefit to the community and spread the word about what a fantastic sport tennis is. You can volunteer, donate or sponsor an event or player.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Commitment within the organization:
At the GWTA our commitment to inclusivity and diversity is unwavering. As an organization, we reflect the diversity of our community in our leadership. Our board, staff, and instructors represent different races, genders, ethnicities, and LGBTQ representation.
Commitment on the courts:
Partnerships with non-profits across North Carolina have strengthened the GWTA’s ability to live out our mission that tennis is for everyone. Whether making space for persons with intellectual disabilities or physical disabilities or for individuals who want to feel safe within their own community, we have developed expanded opportunities for these players to enjoy and grow the sport.
Commitment to the future:
The GWTA recognizes that there is more work to be done and that becoming fully inclusive is a longer-term effort requiring ongoing education and revision. We are committed to improving our organization to create a better experience for everyone in our community.